Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Korea Brand Expedition Day 2

On the second day each team went on their own mission. For our first content our team decided to go to Makgeolli (막걸리) factory, to learn firsthand how Korean rice wine Makgeolli is made. But before going there I really wanted to take a look at KAIST - the best University of Science and Technology in Korea, so I asked my teammates to stop by KAIST first. As we didn't have much time, we couldn't see that much, however I still managed to take a few shots.


cute sign :)
Our team behind KAIST logo

After that we went to grab a lunch at a popular place called "장어대가", rumored to serve the best eel in Daejon. Our teammate, Jinhee onni brought us here, explaining that she learned about this restaurant from Daejon City hall’s homepage, and that it was famous among Korean netizens.

Location of 장어대가
The signboard


At the time we arrived there our expectations were set very high and we were starving. All the dishes were a bit pricey, so after a short discussion we ordered a double portion of 소금구이장어 (salty roasted eel).  While we were waiting for the main dish, in the meantime we were served side-dishes, and there were so many of them!  Seems as everything I like was present on the table: fried chicken in Chinese sauce, lobster fries, miso soup, fruit salad, and many more. My stomach was really happy that day!
  
Only a small part of all the side-dishes


That day I ate eel for the first time. The taste surpassed all of my expectations! Usually I do not eat fish much, as I dislike the taste and the smell, however I really enjoed that eel. The eel disappeared from our table very quickly, I think it speaks for itself about the wonderful taste. Even now a mere thought about that lunch makes me drool :D

Yummy!

Next time you visit Daejon, I really recommend you to grab a meal at “장어대가”. You definetely won’t regret it!
After gaining energy from the meal, we were ready to go, explore the makgeolli factory. The place we went to, was a small private factory, where various sorts of wine are produced. 

the signboard

When we arrived there, the owner greeted us in a friendly way and offered to be our guide. We had a brilliant opportunity to watch the process of making an authentic Korean rice wine. Every stage of the creation process is done very carefully, considering all the little nuances, like keeping the right temperature.

This is how makgeolli is made


I learnt a few new facts about makgeolli; it turns out to be good for your health! Especially because this place produces special makgeolli with ginseng. After the tour we were treated with makgeolli. The owner explained us that their company is the first one to make different makgeolli for women and men, and really, I enjoyed “female” 삼순이makgeolli’s taste the most. It was so delicious, not too strong, and not too sour.

삼순이, 참막걸리, 홍돌이


It was very refreshing, and the taste reminded me of our Mongolian traditional drink, called airag. The owner and his wife were very generous, giving us a few boxes of their makgeolli. I felt that after this trip I understand so much more about Korean culture.


owner with his wife, they really enjoyed taking photos :)
 Later that day, our expedition moved to 공주 (Gongju). We stayed for the night in a really luxurious place >> 한옥마을 (Korean traditional village). In the evening we played lots of traditional korean games, also we recalled our childhood by playing kids game. 


Korean traditional village
That was Day 2, read more in upcoming posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive